Design Manager Minimum Hardware Requirements
Please note that as of 1/14/2020, no version of the locally installed Design Manager will be supported regardless of the operating system. Further, any unforeseen changes in operating system functionality prior to that date that interferes with Design Manager’s operation will not be addressed. At that point or as of the 1/14/2020 decommission date, whichever comes sooner, the only questions that can be answered by Technical Support with be in regards to operation within the program itself (i.e., Project Management, Accounting, etc.).
(Use For: Desktop Versions of Design Manager Professional 7.0 R3 and Design Manager 2011)
Stand-alone Computer (Single User), Network Workstation, or Peer-to-Peer Network (2 - 5 users)
- 1 gigahertz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor running Windows 7 (any version), Windows 8.1 and 10 - Pro 7R3 ONLY (DM2011 not supported on Windows 8.1 or 10). Latest service packs and updates should be installed on all operating systems. Windows Server 2008/2008R2 can be used as workstation for Pro 7.0 R3, but not for DM2011.
- 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM for 32 bit (x86) or 2 GB for 64-bit (x64). Install takes about 1 GB hard drive space.
- 17” or large monitor recommended (1024 x 768 or widescreen).
- Peer-to-peer Network: Computer with shared drive must have the most robust operating system. Operating systems are listed from most robust to least: Windows Server 2012 (file share only), Server 2008 R2, Server 2008, Windows 8.1 and 10 - Pro 7R3 ONLY (DM2011 not supported on Windows 8.1 or 10), Windows 7 (latest service packs and updates should be installed on all operating systems). Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbit/s) or equivalent speed network. Wireless networks are not acceptable.
Dedicated Server (5 - 8 users, Pro 7.0 R3 only)
- 1 gigahertz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
- 1 GB of RAM for 32 bit (x86) or 2 GB for 64-bit (x64). Installation takes about 1 GB hard drive space.
- Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbit/s) or equivalent speed network. Wireless networks are not acceptable. To use a wireless network, please use a Terminal/RDP/Citrix Server or use DM Cloud.
- Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 / SBS 2011 / 2012 (with latest service packs/updates) x86 or x64.
Dedicated Remote Desktop Server or Terminal Server/RDS (8 - 64 users) - Design Manager Pro 7.0 Hosted on RDS/Citrix XenApp Server
- 2 gigahertz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor per each 20-25 users (1 user equals 1 application instance). Distinct processors are recommended (i.e.: for 50 users not just a single dual or quad core but 2 distinct processors, Intel Xeon or equivalent is recommended).
- 4 GB of RAM for 32 bit (x86) or 8 GB for 64-bit (x64) for first 10 to 15 users plus 2 GB for each additional 8-10 users. X64 is required for configurations that require more than 4 GB of RAM.
- A SCSI hard drive RAID system is recommended for configurations with more than a single processor (i.e. over 25-30 users). The hard drives should be local to the server, not a NAS device or remote drive on another server.
- 10 Mbit/s Ethernet or equivalent speed network. Stable wireless and remote connections will work fine since all application instances will be running on the Terminal Server.
- Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 (x86 or x64) running Remote Desktop Services or with Citrix XenApp 5.0 or higher (Small Business Server will not work).
- All printers and other peripherals must have compatible TS/RDP/Citrix certified drivers for the chosen Windows Server operating system. Note that this is not a requirement of DM but a requirement of any application running on a Terminal Server/RDS/XenApp Server.
- Note that these requirements do not consider other usage for the same server such as a TS/Citrix License Server, Domain Controller, Print Server, SQL Server etc. It is recommended that such roles are implemented on separate servers.
- Workstation requirements can be greatly reduced because they need only to support the Terminal Server/RDP or Citrix Receiver.
Design Manager Pro 7.0 R3 for SQL Server (Any number of users).
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (x86 or x64 version), 2008 R2 or 2012 (x64 only).
- Each workstation must meet Stand-alone requirements (above) and use a wired Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbit/s) network connection. A combination of SQL Server and Terminal Services/RDS or Citrix can be used to facilitate remote offices or workstations that require a wireless or slower network connection.
- See here and Microsoft.com for information on choosing the proper version of SQL Server and for the hardware requirements for SQL Server itself.
- *Note: The SQL Server 2012 Native Client cannot be loaded on to a 32bit OS. If a mix of workstations are to access an SQL 2012 server, the SQL 2008 Native Client must be used on all workstations.
Optional Requirements (required by some functions).
- A fax service that supports an email address for sending faxes is required for automatic faxing of Purchase Orders. For example: eFax, Metrofax.
- Microsoft Office™ 2003 to 2010 (the full version of Microsoft Outlook is required for emailing/Outlook sync features). Problems may occur when using versions of Office newer than 2010.
- TWAIN compatible scanner.
- Additional hard drive space will be needed as the database and picture data grows.